8 March 2007

What is Economics?

I have began to ask myself this question since I started to pursue a Master degree in economics. The economics that I am dealing with at the moment seems to be stranger to me. Everything is about theory and mathematics!

Where is the economics that I used to learn and enjoy?

Where is the human touch?


This reminded me of what Prof Tey used to tell me, "Don't bother so much about theory, it's the application and how you analyst things that is more important." His advice from an applied statistician viewpoint really puzzled me two years ago. Now I begin to understand what he meant.

After two semester pursuing the Master course, I learnt to appreciate the beauty of other subjects - public policy, development studies, political science, international studies and sociology - but strangely not economics. I enjoy attending classes and seminars of non-economics subject but struggling to even find the motivation to complete economics tutorial. This don't seems right!

Well, I guess, no matter how I felt, I have to struggle on, at least until I finish this graduate programme. I am actually counting my blessings because this is not a 5-year PhD program but only a 3-semester Master course. At least, I still have the opportunity to venture into other field of studies, which I believe the simple economics understanding will certainly be a great help in the future. I enjoyed my undergraduate studies in economics but I can't seems to say so for my current endeavour.

1 comment:

discordant dude said...

press on, bro... you'll see dat it'll come in handy one day. after all, knowledge is unity...