30 August 2007

Merdeka! Merdeka! Merdeka!

Fifty years ago, this very day, Malaya gained its independence from the British empire. Being a Malaysian, it was indeed a day to be proud of the achievements that this 50-year old country had achieved.

Taking a few moments this very minute to ponder the meaning of Merdeka, I wish to pen several of my thoughts about the independence of my beloved country.

What is patriotism? I guess I could call myself a patriotic Malaysian. I have always felt proud being a Malaysian. Proud that I have the freedom to practice Christianity and living peacefully in a multi-cultural and multi-ethnic community.

Pondering deeper, I would think that this 50th celebration is not only counting the achievements of the past, but rather a good opportunity for Malaysia to reflect on the past and move forward. The country is at a crucial junction in many areas. As the country geared towards this celebration, many critical issues continued to head the headlines almost everyday.

The nation is still caught in debate about :-
about the role of Constitution;
jurisdiction between civil and syariah court;
increasing corruption;
continuation of affirmative policy;
the proposal of Common Law being replaced by Islamic Law;
the conduct of parliamentarians;
inefficient public service;
decreasing competitiveness; and more importantly
"is Malaysia an Islamic state?"
.

Why is the country still uncertain and indecisive about so many crucial issues?

Is it because Malaysians in the past were ignorant?

Or is it that Malaysia nearing the age of 50, began to need a pair of reading glasses, and therefore these issues were magnified?

Well, as the country celebrates its' 50th birthday, let all Malaysians take this opportunity to ponder on our stands in these issues. These issues have serious complication because Malaysia is standing at a crucial junction in this globalised world. We just could not afford to screw up any of decision pertaining these issues.

As for me, I will dedicate my prayer as a gift to this country.

"Dear Lord, thank you for Malaysia. Thank you for the blessings You have showered upon this country for the past five decades. More importantly, I must thank You for the freedom of religion, that Your children could worship You without persecution. I continue to commit this country into Your loving hands that You will continue to bless and guide her. Grant wisdom to the King and leaders that they will govern this country with fairness and put the nation before themselves. Grant that Malaysians would continue to live in harmony with one another and appreciate the diversity that You have granted in this land. Bless Malaysia O Lord! Amen. "

Happy Birthday Malaysia!

No comments: