30 March 2009

Chinese Road Sign in London

I was in London last week. Went to Chinatown. To my surprise, the road signs in this area were bi-lingual. Let us not forget that this is London, the "Capital City of England" and supposedly the heart of English language in the world.


This reminded me about all the controversies in Penang, when the State Government proposed to use bi-lingual road signs in certain part of Georgetown. I would not dwell back into these meaningless controversies, but as a whole, it reflected the myopic and narrow-mindedness of the critics in the issue.

I strongly believe these bi-lingual road sign initiative should not be confined merely to Penang (or Georgetown), but to all major road sign in Malaysia. When we think about tourism, do not side-track into other issues like politics. After all, Malaysia's tourism promotes itself as "Malaysia, Truly Asia". The multi-lingual road sign initiative is certainly a way forward.

No comments: