15 October 2010

Two Down, One More to Go

Tomorrow is the Matriculation Day for the academic term 2010/2011. Matriculation Day is the official event where a new student is officially and ceremonially enrolled to be a member of the university.

I arrived in the UK exactly two years ago, a day before the 2008 Michaelmas Term Matriculation. These two years have been an interesting and exceptional journey. There have been many "ups and downs". I have encountered frustrations where ideas were rejected, lived with a terrible amount of uncertainties, and grappled around the literature searching for a research gap or question.

However, on the bright side, in these two years, I have also learned many important lessons:
One, a PhD is a test of persistence. It is not so much about the intellectual abilities, but more about the persistence and emotional "stamina" to run this awful long journey.
Two, I have also learned to value and appreciate criticisms. Increasingly, I realised I actually enjoy being criticised and challenged rather than being praised, especially with my work and writings.
Three, I performed better under pressure. Although I knew about this many years ago while in university doing an undergraduate degree, I reaffirmed this finding about myself that I tend to be more efficient when I am busy and therefore will perform better. That is why I have been, and will continue to, keep myself busy.

Two down, one more year to go. Hopefully, and with God's grace, I will have more interesting things to share about this journey.

No comments: