16 September 2006

I remembered!

I remembered! It has been almost 12 years that I have joined the oldest youth uniformed organization in the world. The experiences accumulated throughout this period was filled with joy, laughter, sadness, tears and many more feelings that was indescribable by words.

I remembered! I was 12 years old. One Sunday afternoon in November 1994, after church, I was about to go home. On the way out, I met two BB officers, Teh Tiak and Amos Lim. They offered a casual invitation for me to join them for the afternoon BB meeting. Although I was reluctant, nevertheless, I still when for the first BB meeting that afternoon. From that Sunday, every Sunday afternoon is never the same again. Subsequently, I officially joined the Boys’ Brigade in January 1995, with the 6th Penang Company.

I remembered! The 5½ years with 6th Penang Company has been remarkable, experiencing the ups and downs that I guess not many teenagers or even adults had experienced or furthermore, understand! No doubt about it, this period of teenage years was filled with many sweet memories as well as bitter experiences that I would never forget.

I remembered! It was also these 5½ years in 6th Penang Company that I found Jesus Christ as my Commander-in-Life and in addition, Zhi Ling, my girlfriend for the past seven years.

I remembered! In August 2000, I transferred my BB membership to 1st Penang Company. Since then, I have been with 1st Penang until August 2006, where I left to pursue my graduate studies overseas. Six years with 1st Penang Company has transformed and changed my perspective of BB tremendously. I thanked God for the opportunity to witness His great transformation in the company, from a small company to more than 80 boys when the company celebrated its 60th Anniversary on 6 August 2006.

I remembered! These 12 wonderful years in the Brigade has been great. I have gained uncountable blessings and experiences, but sadly, along with several regrets as well.

Lastly, “Thank you” Lord for this ministry of Boys’ Brigade and for the opportunity to let me be a part of it.

No comments: