16 September 2006

What Have I Learnt???

I joined the Boys’ Brigade at the age of 12, rising through the ranks from Private to Staff Sergeant and eventually became a Warrant Officer. Throughout my 12 years in the Brigade, I have learnt uncountable amount of life-changing lessons, which I will share the 5 most important ones.

1) Having a Commander-in-Life

The first, foremost and the best lesson is having Jesus Christ as my Commander-in-Life. The personal relationship built with Him through the guidance of Boys’ Brigade was vital. Although coming from a Christian family, it is through the fellowship and incidents happened in the BB that strengthens my relationship with God.

2) Leadership

Although BB is not the only place I learnt about leadership, but it is through BB that I understand what Christian Leadership is all about. I have the privilege of having committed and dedicated officers to guide and mentor me. The approach of leadership is serving the boys by providing them with example and impacting their lives. At the same time, instill in the boys values of self-respect, reverence, discipline and obedient. The greatest example of Christian Leadership is none other than Jesus Christ himself.

3) Overcoming Homesick

I was a Scout in primary school. Whenever I go for camps, I will cry my way home the very first night. Things did not turned better after going to secondary school. It began to change after I joined BB. It was through prayers and warm fellowship of fellow BB members that helped me to overcome this sickness. The first camp that I managed to complete is Drill Camp in 1996 followed by the week-long Golden Jubilee Pesta.

4) Striving for the Best

My dad used to said, “Don’t do well in your exams, then you better quit BB”. I answered, “BB is being involved in church. It got nothing to do with study.” I assume lots of boys in the Brigade will answer that.
However, after finishing my university and worked, my perspective has changed. Boys must first understand their roles and strive to do his best. Playing a multiple role in our daily life, BB members must work hard and strive for the best in everything they do. It’s all about discipline and the success you achieved in life that will reflect the success of BB training in you. I realized no matter how much you achieve in the Brigade, it will remain as only a small part of your life story. Therefore, strive for excellence in every role you play, be it a son, grandson, student, brother, BB, NCOs etc.

5) Understanding Human Beings

This is the most expensive and most bitter lesson I have learnt. Growing up within a warm fellowship of fellow members in BB was sweet and simple. However, when problems propped up and individuals’ interest come into action, friendship will take the backseat. I learnt the hard way of organizational politics by paying the price of losing all the friends. Backstabbing, betrayal and bad-mouthing became the deadliest weapon. Officers can even misuse their authority to manipulate situation according to their interest. It was also in BB that I learnt the hypocrisy of Christians. Certain people might look pious, religious, caring leader with all wonderful characteristics, however, when personal interest is at stake, the dirtiest and most ruthless ways can be used, even towards fellow BB members and within the BB community.
On a positive note, these incidents had taught me to be more observant and cautious towards the people I encountered. It has taught me to handle different people with different characters in different ways. More importantly, Christians are also human being, therefore they also make mistake.


No comments: