16 July 2008

Farewell to the Officers

I attended the Memorial Service of an old officer from 1st Penang, Mr Cheam Hock Seang. Though I do not know him personally, but the feeling of paying the last respect to someone who has served in the Brigade had driven me to the service.

The next day, the more shocking news came. A former officer from my former company, aged only 6 years more senior than myself, was called home by God. Mr Leow Kok Wei, someone considered to be very junior as an officer, but has left tremendous impact on the boys and girls. He's always close to the boys and girls, cheerful with no ego being an officer. After BB parade, boys and girls even addressed him "Drumstick" (because his leg looks like one) and he was never bothered with such unconventional way to reach out to the boys and girls. All this friendliness and cheerfulness, remains unchanged though, he himself was a high-achiever in the Boys' Brigade. Being the first batch of President's Award receipient of 6th Penang and was twice the BB National Bible Quiz Champion, he remains down to earth and never boost about it.

On a personal note, he is also one of the officers that have spent many important hours to listen and advice me when I was still at the infancy stage of learning to be a leader. Sadly, he was 'forced' out of the company the same time I assume the important leadership position of leading the NCOs and never have the chance to work under his leadership. His leaving from Boys' Brigade was indeed painful and I safely guess that many other incidents subsequently followed that he lost this whole group of brothers and sisters from the Brigade, which they have grew up together and experienced the thick and thin of teenage years.

All those who turned up at the funeral have not met him for at least a year. This is sad and hopefully with his return to the heavenly Father, it will serve as a reminder to everyone that life is indeed fragile.

Anyway, I personally salute these officers, for their passion, love and commitment laboured to the ministry of the Boys' Brigade. One whom have personally touched my life and another whom has impacted 1st Penang to be what it is today.

I am confident, we will meet again in heaven. Adios!

No comments: