11 November 2008

Philosophy

Philosophy. An important field of study. A challenging one indeed.

I have the first taste of it with KM (soon to be Dr KM) but didn't quite like it. Was adviced by several other "influential" people in my intellectual life to give it a try or even to seriously put more thoughts into it. But the most I have gone so far was to grab a couple of books and read not more than half of it.

Finally, attended an "informal" lecture with a philosopher, an educational philosopher to be exact. It was not really a lecture but more of a discourse along with some alcohol. Though the session was short and slightly more than an introductory, it has left so many questions in my mind about education. Certainly will spend more of my Tuesday evenings to explore philosophy with the group. After all, I'm here to study for a degree called the Doctor of Philosophy.

Just to share some questions as well as sort of reminder to myself:

What is education?

How to we justified someone as educated?

Why does education has to be confined within the framework of formal schooling?

Since I'm doing a Doctor of Philosophy, why is philosophy not part of my syllabus?

Why does the discourse had to be done so informally through the effort of a fellow coursemate to engaged the Professor?


No comments: