29 October 2006

Dilemma!!!

There is always this dilemma.
  • To join or not to join?
  • To serve or not to serve?
  • To commit or not to commit?
I am sure many people have come across such dilemma such as the above in their involvement in BB. I have also encountered similar experiences throughout the past 11 years in the Brigade.

I struggled with the first dilemma for ages before joining the Brigade. I used to admire the badges on the arms of BB boys since the young age of 5 or 6. I grew up in the church with an active BB company. As I grew older and closer to the minimum age to join, the dilemma of "to join or not ot join" struck me. I struggled for quite a while before deciding to give it a try upon the invitation of two officers. Since then, I never regretted my decision to join the Brigade.

"To serve or not to serve" was a typical dilemma of officers, particularly those with family and busy career. For me, the experience came slightly earlier. While I was a Sergeant, I encountered problems with my company. I decided to leave the company but struggling to with the dilemma of whether to continue in BB or not. Subsequently, I was invited to 1st Penang. Even though I joined 1st Penang after visiting them for only one parade, it took a while for me to decide whether to serve or not to serve in this new company. At that stage, I was already too old to achieve much, BB has become more of serving than receiving. Proud to say, the decision to serve in 1st Penang has changed my whole perspective of BB. No regrets so far in making that choice. I have seen God's wonderful hands building up the company and see boys growing and changing. The experience was wonderful!

The third dilemma, is closely related to the second dilemma. I would think it is difficult to serve yet not committed. Therefore, I believe the decision to serve comes with the commitment to do my best. In BB, I have seen God's abundant blessings on His servants who are commited and dedicated to the ministry. It was such an encouragement to see God rewards them with good health, warm family, successful career, good study results and other success in life.

As I was sharing this article, fresh dilemma began to struck me again. I am now away in Singapore, deciding whether "to join or not to join" the BB ministry. Coincidently, my girlfriend, who used to serve along with me in GB/BB ministry, is also struggling with this dilemma once again, after being away from the Brigade for almost 5 years. I guess, the dilemma is still the same but the surrounding and experiences have made the dilemma more complicated.

Let wait and see how God guides us through!

No comments: